This year’s celebration of Gabii sa Kabilin (GSK) will include 27 museums and heritage sites. The annual cultural activity aims to “bring out Cebu’s identity” as it show’s off the province’s history and culture.
The event takes participants to museums and heritage sites from 6pm to midnight every last Friday of May, which falls on May 26 for this year. The sites are all over Cebu, Mandaue, Talisay and Lapu-lapu.
Cebu City GSK sites:
1. Archdiocesan Museum of Cebu
2. Archdiocesan Shrine of the Most Sacred Heart of Jesus
3. Basilica Minore del Santo Niño Museum
4. Casa Gorordo Museum
5. Cebu City Museum
6. Democrito T. Mendoza Museum
7. Don Sergio Osmeña Sr. Memorabilia and CAP Art Gallery
8. Fo Guang Shan Chu Un Temple
9. Fort San Pedro
10. Iglesia Filipina Independiente Cathedral of Sto. Niño
11. Jose R. Gullas Halad Museum
12. Museo Parian sa Sugbo – 1730 Jesuit House
13. Museo Sugbo
14. Museum of Bicycling
15. Museum of Heritage and Folk Art
16. Museum of Naïve Art (MoNA) – West Gorordo Hotel
17. Plaza Parian/Aboitizland (GSK Booth at the Outlets)
18. San Nicolas de Tolentino Parish Church
19. St. Theresa’s College – Folklife Museum
20. Sugbo Chinese Heritage Museum
21. United Church of Christ of the Philippines – Bradford Memorial Chapel
22. University of the Philippines Cebu
Mandaue City GSK site
23. Mandaue Presidencia
Lapu-lapu City GSK site
24. Mactan Shrine
Talisay City GSK sites
25. Archdiocesan Shrine of Sta. Teresa de Avila Parish
26. Talisay Beach Landing
27. Collegium Societa Tis Angeli Pacis Museum
To allow safe passage for participants, the historic areas of downtown Cebu City, Colon Street, particularly the area between the intersections of Mabini and Jakosalem Street, Mabini Street, P. Burgos Street, E. Aboitiz Street will be closed to traffic.
GSK was established 11 years ago and was institutionalized in 2012 after the City Council passed Ordinance 2327 declaring every last Friday of May as Night of Heritage, or Gabii sa Kabilin.
For only P150, participants will enjoy exhibits, cultural performances, food markets, art fairs, and interactive demos in any of the 27 sites. A few sites will also prepare children’s activities.
The fee will also give them a chance to take the tartanilla in Cebu City and unli-ride on any GSK designated bus. Children seven years old and younger can join GSK for free, as long as they have adult companions.
Some of the activities to look forward to in this year’s GSK include the “Heritage Hunt” and the Vlogging and Blogging contests. Souvenirs from the event are also available for sale, such as GSK shirts, mugs, bags, and ref magnets.
Tickets are available at any participating GSK sites and tourism offices of the LGUs of Cebu City, Mandaue City, Lapu-lapu City, and Talisay City. The public can also contact 411-1700 / 343-1700 local 24537, or visit fb.com/rafi.org.ph. You may also visit fb.com/gabiisakabilincebu for more updates about the event.